Tuesday 28 February 2012

(1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Stieg Larsson

Rating:
7/10

Date finished:
25/02/2012

Review:
I'm a bit conflicted about this one. The mystery kept me guessing right up until the end, the twists and turns are incredibly well crafted and really clever. The characters were totally believable; some of the traumas they each experience were gut wrenchingly real; a few times I felt uncomfortable reading about them. But this is surely the point....some chapters begin with some shocking statistics (assuming all copies have this) about the status of women in Sweden particularly in regard to rape. Larsson seems to be sending a message to the reader about how real these problems are to the vulnerable people being taken advantage of and this poingant message definitely comes across.  Yet, despite all of these things, I still found myself getting a bit bored towards the end, the tying up of loose ends seemed too long and all in all I was glad when I'd finished it.

I would recommend this book but with a warning to keep at it, there is a sense of achievement when finishing any book but that was even more true with this one. Give it a try!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment